Azzurra wins the battle, Quantum Racing wins the war
With four points clear to win overall, Quantum Racing need to just have a safe, average performance in the final race to take the first stop in the 2014 52SuperSeries. With winds topping 20-25 knots, they came off in the first leg of the 5-leg course in the lead, but ceded this to Rán Racing at the bottom of the first downwind leg.
The reigning World Champion enjoyed this lead for a while, until on the final beat to the finish the Azzurra team found a shift and a speed gear to not only catch Rán Racing, but then push them off the left side of the course and lead them into their second win of the series, and a 3rd place overall finish.
US 52 SUPER SERIES at Quantum Key West
Standings after ten of ten scheduled races:
- Quantum Racing (USA) Doug DeVos (USA)1,1,1,6,3,4,1,2,1,3 Total 23pts
- Rán Racing (SWE), Niklas Zennström (SWE) 2,2,3,4,1,2,4,1,5,2 Total 26
- Azzurra (ITA), Guillermo Parada (ARG) 3,3,2,2,4,1,3,6,4,1 Total 29
- Interlodge (USA), Austin Fragomen (USA) 4,5,6,1,2,3,2,3,3,4 Total 33
- Sled (USA), Takashi Okura (USA 5,4,5,5,6,5,6,4,2,5 Total 46
- Hooligan (USA), Gunther Buerman (USA) 6,6,4,3,5,6,5,5,6,6 Total 53
Share this article: