No Racing, Platoon Lead Into Final Day in Menorca
With no racing possible due to a lack of wind off Mahon today Harm Müller-Spreer’s Platoon team go into the final day of the Menorca 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week with a lead of two points.
Nacho Postigo, navigator of Provezza reported,
“There was no wind because of the cloud and storm activity around but we did the right thing to go out and wait as the forecast is not always right and so we need to try. It was under six knots all the time and the wind direction was moving around a lot. And under the circumstances it was right to come in when we did.”
Saturday, the final day expects the calms to continue but sees the best breeze forecast for later in the day.
The final regatta of the season, The Rolex TP52 World Championships is set for the first week of November in Palma and is looming large on the horizon. While the focus in Menorca is on the regatta title but the top of the circuit standings are extremely tight, just one point separates Platoon and Quantum Racing – who are tied on 46 points – from Sled and Alegre both on 47.
And so all the teams are looking for good, high quality, competitive races and already an exciting finale seems to be on the cards for the Bay of Palma in early November.
After five races Menorca 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week
1. Platoon (GER) (Harm Müller-Spreer) (4,3,6,4,1) 18p.
2. Alegre (USA/GBR) (Andrés Soriano) (1,1,1,7,10) 20 p
3. Quantum Racing (USA) (Doug DeVos) (11,4,4,2,2) 23 p
4. Bronenosec (RUS) (Vladimir Liubomirov) (2,dnf12,2, 3, 3 +2 ) 24 p.
5. Phoenix (RSA) (Tony Norris) (3,7,3,5,6) 24 p
6. Sled (USA) (Takashi Okura) (5,8,7,1,4) 25 p
7. Provezza (TUR) (Ergin Imre) (8,2,8,6,11) 35 p
8. Gladiator (GBR) (Tony Langley) (6,9,9,10,5) 39 p.
9. Interlodge (USA) (Austin Fragomen) (7,10,5,8,9) 39 p
10. THA 72 Vāyu (THAI) Whitcraft (THAI) (10,5,10,11,7) 43 p
11. Paprec (FRA) Jean-Luc Petithuguenin (9,6,11,9,8) 43p
Share this article: