Lack of Wind Cancels the Second Day of Racing in Menorca
The forecast light sea breeze failed to materialise today for the 11-strong fleet of TP52s at the Menorca 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week, and so racing had to be cancelled for the day.
The standings remain the same with Azzurra (Alberto & Pablo Roemmers) leading the results table by four points ahead of Platoon (Harm Müller-Spreer) after Tuesday’s two races.
“It is very frustrating that the sea breeze just did not come in. It is one of those things because of the shape of the smaller island here that it does not really generate the thermal breeze at this time of year, but it is looking more promising for Thursday and into the weekend,” commented Maria Torrijo, the Principal Race Officer.
It may not have been a good day for competition but a new initiative to help clean up the seabed around the race docks in the host marinas recovered a significant amount of discarded debris and rubbish thanks to the team’s divers and local divers.
Menorca 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week
Regatta standings after two races
1. Azzurra (ARG/ITA) (Alberto / Pablo Roemmers) (2,1) 3 p.
2. Platoon (GER) (Harm Müller-Spreer) (5,2) 7 p.
3. Bronenosec (RUS) (Vladimir Liubomirov) (1,7) 8 p.
4. Provezza (TUR) (Ergin Imre) (6,3) 9 p
5. Phoenix 12 (RSA) (Tina Plattner) (7,4) 11 p.
6. Phoenix 11 (RSA) (Hasso Plattner) (3,10) 13 p.
7. Quantum Racing (USA) (Doug DeVos) (8,5) 13 p.
8. Alegre (USA/GBR) (Andrés Soriano) (4,11) 15 p.
9. Team Vision Future (FRA) (Jean Jacques Chaubard) (10,6) 16 p.
10. Sled (USA) (Takashi Okura) (9,8) 17 p.
11. Gladiator (GBR) (Tony Langley) (11,9) 20 p.
For full results, visit: http://bit.ly/2wkggTj
Racing at the Menorca 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week starts on Tuesday 21st May and finishes on Saturday 25th May. The boats can be tracked online or via the 52 SUPER SERIES app with live commentary and expert analysis throughout each race. Shows start 15 minutes before racing is due to begin.
Share this article: