The 2014 title is waiting.
The winds off Ibiza proved insufficient to allow racing on the penultimate day of the BARCLAYS 52 SUPER SERIES at the ZENITH Royal Cup Marina Ibiza. A long day waiting ashore in the hot September sunshine and then during the mid-afternoon on the water all finally proved to be in vain at 1600hrs local time when the race organising committee decided that there was no prospect of the light, fickle breeze filling in.
The plan is for a warning signal on Sunday at midday with the intention of delivering the maximum number of races.
With no further changes to the overall standings for the ZENITH Royal Cup Marina Ibiza, Guillermo Parada and the Azzurra team still have an opportunity to finish their season off with a regatta win, just as they started 2014 in Europe when they triumphed in Capri in May. But they have a deficit of four points to make up to pass regatta leaders Quantum Racing. Meantime Rán Racing are looking to win back second place for the season, lying three points behind Azzurra.
The chase for the BARCLAYS 52 SUPER SERIES title will be concluded tomorrow. Quantum Racing have a lead which really ranks them as champions elect, but for sure the American flagged crew of Doug DeVos will be gunning to finish 2014 on a high note. Rán Racing’s owner-driver Niklas Zennström was re-elected as President of the TP52 Class for a further two years.
Standings: ZENITH Royal Cup Marina Ibiza
Overall after 6 races
- Quantum Racing, USA, (Doug De Vos USA) (1,2,3,2,1,6) 15pts
- Azzurra, ITA, (Alberto Roemmers ARG) (3,5,2,1,6,2) 19pts
- Rán Racing, SWE, (Niklas Zennström SWE) (2,4,4,4,5,7) 26pts
- Sled, USA, (Takashi Okura JPN) (4,1,6,3,4,DNF/9) 27pts
- Gaastra Pro, NED (Marc Blees NED) (6,6,1,8,2,5) 28pts
- Gladiator, GBR, (Tony Langley GBR) (5,7,8,5,3,4) 32pts
- Provezza 7, TUR, (Ergin Imre TUR) (7,3,7,6,7,3) 33pts
- Phoenix, BRA, (Eduardo de Souza Ramos BRA) (8,8,5,7,8,1) 37pts
Overall BARCLAYS 52 SUPER SERIES
- Quantum 67pts
- Azzurra 89pts
- Ran Racing 92pts
- Phoenix 114pts
- Gladiator 134pts
- Provezza 163pts
Share this article: