Howling Mistral wins the day at Porto Cervo
With the Mistral howling across the race arena off Porto Cervo at close to 40kts at times, the decision was taken at midday today to cancel racing for the day at the Audi Settimana delle Bocche (The Week of the Straits), the final regatta of the season for the 52 SUPER SERIES.
After a fast, exciting and physically demanding 31 miles coastal race yesterday up to Spargi Island and back, there were few complaints from crews on the dock at the Yacht Club Costa Smeralda when the race committee signalled AP flag over A flag to stand the 52 SUPER SERIES fleet down for the day. The plan for Friday to make an early start to a diet of windward leeward races, starting at 1100hrs. That may yet allow the full race programme to be completed by close of play Saturday.
It is disappointing, we always want to go racing but for sure it is the right decision. And in effect there is still half of the regatta still to be sailed so there is plenty more that can happen.
Commented Vasco Vascotto, tactician for Azzurra, the leaders of the regatta.
With many crewmembers in their second week of racing here, having been here last week for the Maxi Yacht Rolex Cup, a rest day will not go amiss.
Azzurra lead the overall standings by one single point ahead of Quantum Racing.
52 Super Series
Audi Settimana delle Bocche
After three races
- Azzurra, ITA, (Alberto Roemmers, ARG) (1,2,2) 5pts
- Quantum Racing, USA, (Doug DeVos, USA) (2,3,1) 6pts
- Gladiator, GBR, (Tony Langley, GBR) (5,1,7) 13pts
- Rán Racing, SWE, (Niklas Zennström, SWE) (4,4,5) 13pts
- Interlodge, USA, (Austin Fragomen, USA) (3,9,3) 15pts
- Provezza, TUR, (Ergin Imre, TUR) (6,5,4) 15pts
- Rio, USA, (Manouch Moshayedi, USA) (7,6,6) 19pts
- Paprec, FRA, (Jean Luc Petithugenin, FRA) (DNF, 7,8) 25pts
- B2, ITA, (Michele Galli, ITA) (8,8,9) 25pts
Share this article: